A Heraldic Tour of Italy (V): Sicily

Arms in the courtyard of the Palazzo Bellomo (Galleria Regionale), Siracuse.

Arms in the courtyard of the Palazzo Bellomo (Galleria Regionale), Siracuse.

Arms in the courtyard of the Palazzo Bellomo (Galleria Regionale), Siracuse.

Arms of the Catholic Kings in the courtyard of the Palazzo Bellomo (Galleria Regionale), Siracuse.

Arms in the courtyard of the Palazzo Bellomo (Galleria Regionale), Siracuse.

Oversized depiction of the royal arms of Philip II, Philip III or Philip IV of Spain, in the courtyard of the Palazzo Bellomo, Siracuse.

Rather fanciful arms on a tomb in the duomo of Taormina.  The epitaph reads:

A Leonardo Sgroi Camiola
Paternò Castello Faraone
in Taormina nato
da cospecoi genitori il XXI. Maggio MDCCCL
alle Italiane latine lettere,
e filosofiche discipline educato
di costumi integerrimi, e sentimenti purissimi
Ahi troppo presti da inesorabil morbo
all' amore dei congiunti, alle speranze dè concittadini
nei VI. Novembre MDCCCLXXIII rapito,
il padre inconsolabile fa memoria.

Arms on the Porta Catania, Taormina, dated 1440.

Arms carved on the sarcophagus of William, duke of Athens (d. 1338), son of Frederic II of Aragon, in the cathedral.

The arms of Vittorio Amadeo, duke of Savoy, crowned king of Sicily in the cathedral of Palermo on Dec. 24, 1713.  The arms appear on the plaque commemorating the event under the south porch of the cathedral.

In the same location, the arms of Don Carlos, who ruled as Carlo III of Naples and V of Sicily from 1735 to 1759 when he became Carlos III of Spain.  He was crowned in that cathedral on July 3, 1735.

These arms adorn the gate to the Parco Orleans, in Palermo, on the Corso Ruggero.  The entrance to the park is next door to the Palazzo Orleans.  This palace was given by Ferdinand IV as wedding gift to his daughter Maria Amelia, who married the exiled duke of Orléans in Palermo in November 1809.  She gave the palace to her son the duc d'Aumale; he in turn bequeathed it to his nephew the duke of Orléans and French pretender, who died there in 1926.  It was seized during World War II and remained property of the Italian state.  It is now the residence of the president of the Region of Sicily.

The shield still shows the trace of the label which differenced the royal arms.  The label was removed, presumably after 1883 when the Orléans branch claimed headship of the house of France; the princely coronet, however, was not replaced with a closed crown.

Splendid mosaic on the ceiling of the Sala di Re Ruggero (ca1140), Palazzo dei Normanni, Palermo.

Arms above a doorway on the eastern facade of the Palazzo dei Normanni.  16th c.  The arms on both sides are those of Cardines impaling ?.

Arms on the facade of the Palazzo Abatellis, Palermo (now the Galleria Regionale della Sicilia).  The palace was completed in 1495 for Francesco Abatellis, paretor of Palermo, in a Catalonian late-Gothic style.  The arms are Or a griffin sable.

Arms of Luna conte di Caltabellotta, displayed in the courtyard of the Galleria Regionale della Sicilia, Palermo.  The arms are: per fess, argent a crescent versed counter-compony argent and sable, and checquy argent and sable.

Arms on a sarcophagus in the Galleria Regionale della Sicilia.

Arms above the doorway of the palazzo Mirto.   The arms of Filangieri are Gules on a cross argent nine bells azure.

Mosaic in the Martorana church (Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio).  The church was founded by George of Antioch, admiral of Roger II.  The mosaic shows Roger II (Rogerios Rex) receiving the royal crown from Christ.

Arms on the door of a Rolls Royce parked on the Piazza Pretoria.  The driver could not identify them.

Arms decorating a chapel inside San Giuseppe ai Teatini, Palermo.

The tomb of Sir John Francis Edward Acton (1736-1811), who served as minister of the marine, minister of finance and prime minister of the kingdom of the Two Sicilies under Ferdinand IV.  It is located in Santa Ninfa dei Crociferi, on the via Roma close the Quattro Canti.

Arms of Philip II of Spain, king of Sicily, on the Quattro Canti.

Arms of Eleonora Branciforte (d. 1520, aged 22) on her monument by Giovanni Battista Mazzola, in the Palazzo Bellomo, Siracuse.

Arms on the sarcophagus of Giovanni Cardinas, by Antonello Gagini (Palazzo Bellomo, Siracuse).  The epitaph reads:
Cardinas hic rector norma Iohanes
tam iusti cultor q~ pietatis honos
rex aulam isabellae reginae
annis XXV ac e vita migravit
penult martii M CCCC LXXXXV

Arms on a palazzo in the via Maestranza, Siracuse.

Arms on a palazzo, via Maestranza, Siracuse.

Arms on the door of Santa Maria del Carmine, Noto.

Palazzo di Lorenzo, via Cavour, Noto.

Arms on the ceiling of the main stairway, palazzo Nicolaci, Noto.  (19th c.)